Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday the 13th Sci-Fi

Tonight on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) for those that have cable, they're running some classic SF films.  Starting with Soylent Green.  It stars Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson's in his last role on film, and directed by Richard O. Fleischer.  It's a dystopian, detective film set in 2022.  One of my favorite SF films.

Minority Report follows that directed by Stephen Spielberg.  Tom Cruise plays one of the future cops who catches people before they can commit crimes.  However he is framed for murder.  I think this got pretty favorable reviews, generally speaking.  I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Logan's Run follows that, taken from the William F. Nolan novel--actually he created a trilogy of books out of it.  I've only read the first one (though I'd like to read the other two as well), which differs somewhat from the movie.  It's a fun SF film too.  Parts of it were shot in a Ft. Worth Water Gardens and Dallas Market Center, which I should try to visit someday.  It had a TV series spinoff.

Mad Max follows that, which stars Mel Gibson.  Another dystopian film, where vicious gangs roam the world.  Gibson plays a cop who goes after them seeking vengeance.  I remember seeing this in a film appreciation group when I was in college.  They all four are great SF films, and if you have seen them before, I'm sure they are worth re-watching--that is my plan.




2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Roman J. Martel said...

Great lineup by TCM there. If we still got that channel I'd be all over that!

"Soylant Green" is one of the big sci-fi guns I still haven't seen. Not sure how I managed to miss that one, but I did. Of course I know the premise (hard to avoid constant references to it in other shows and movies). But I really need to see the film.

I just received a package of DVDs today (had a gift card from Amazon). And "Logan's Run" is one of the flicks I picked up. It was really cheap (around $4) on DVD. I haven't seen it in years, but I really enjoy the soundtrack (one of Goldsmith's most electronic and interesting efforts). Looking forward to giving it a spin.

You know I've also missed out on the "Mad Max" movies, except for "Beyond Thunderdome". I don't remember how or why I ended up seeing that one, but I did. Tina Turner and her hair for the win! :)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Roland--Soylant Green is still worth seeking out and watching just to see how the detective tale plays out, and the ending surrounding the Edward G. Robinson's character.

Mad Max, I think, was the weakest film of the bunch. To tell you the truth I was never that nuts over it. I preferred the sequels, The Road Warrior & Thunderdome to it. But Mad Max was the set up and I know it influenced other films. You might know, they are currently making a new Max film, Fury Road with Tom Hardy.

You're right about the Logan's Run score, very electronic. I still love that movie, pretty psychedelic film, they don't make them like that anymore. Speaking of getting movies in the mail from Amazon. I ran across a blurb about this 4 pack set of films for $5. I've been thinking of picking it up with my next order: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9EJFZA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=38B511ZHPD1ZI&coliid=I1XSBSBFQLAY41

I've seen both The Man From Planet X, and The Angry Red Planet, and enjoyed both. I read that the color on them was great too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home