Saturday, August 10, 2013

Limitless and misc.



Limitless is a SF film that I saw recently, that either flew under a lot of SF fan's radar, or they just didn't care for  it as much as I did.  Some may argue whether or not it is SF, although I think it is.  I don't think all SF has to contain robots or space ships to be SF.  If the SF moniker bothers you apply the word speculative fiction, but it doesn't matter what genre you want to lump it into, it's a good movie, so check it out.

Basically the plot, I'll try and avoid spoilers or give away plot by plot details, involves the Bradley Cooper character Eddie Morra.  He's a run of the mill type guy who is a writer by trade.  He's been having a dry spell as far as writer's block, and can't think of anything new or different to write about.  His publisher starts to bother him a bit expecting a new book, and he tries to appease the publisher.   He goes home, which is when his day goes from bad to worse.

He goes out to a bar later and meets a friend (his ex-girlfriend's brother, if I remember the details correctly) who offers him a new experimental designer drug, NZT.  The drug is suppose to expand one's mental abilities and give the user laser-like focus.    At first Eddie, rejects the offer, thinking it might be dangerous, for one, and  thinking it's overblown hype.  However, he later succumbs to the idea--he's at the end of his rope, after all.  That's when things get interesting.

The first thing he notices is that it improves his focus and recall.  He can write better and starts his new novel.  Things start to pick up now in Eddie's life and in the film as well.  The film is fast paced, and has a dark edge to it, reminding me of something like Fight Club, if you've seen that film.  The downside to the drug, is there are brutal side effects, also the supply to NZT is limited being a new, not-yet marketed drug. 

Bradley Cooper is excellent playing the role of Eddie in the movie.  The story is compelling, suspenseful, and fast moving.  It seems to be a genre-blender of a film, part SF, part action, and part thriller.  If you haven't seen it, it's worth a rental.





I ran across this post from a web site about Sci-Fi books that should be adapted to films.  I'm not too much for remakes as I think the original films, unless a total failure (and I know it's a subjective call), but unless they're a total bomb, I don't care for remakes.  Mostly because from my perspective, they almost never surpass the original film.  I know with today's CG effects that they can make that part of the film updated and more modern, but I don't think that, in itself, makes the film any better.  I sometimes feel that SF fans discredit a film for it's dated look, and overlook the story, the characterization, the history and style, how people lived in the past, or how charming, for lack of a better word, that older SF films can be. 

At any rate the post goes on to say there should be a remake of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five, and I think that the original film is perfectly fine as it is.  If you have not seen it, I recommend giving it a watch.  I would enjoy seeing what they could do with Joe Haldeman's Forever War, or The Stars My Destination, or  maybe even it might be fun to see what they could do with Nova, by Samuel Delany or what about Ringworld by Larry Niven or his Long Arm of Gil Hamilton? 


2 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger The Sci-Fi Fanatic said...

I'm intrigued. Thanks for covering Limitless El Vox.
sff

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Your welcome SFF. I think you'll enjoy it. I wasn't aware of Bradley Cooper as an actor, but saw him on Silver Linings Playbook, which I enjoyed a great deal, so I thought I'd check out Limitless as well. Both are good movies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home