Saturday, July 13, 2013






I got up today and read Astro City #4 by Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson, covers by Alex Ross.  It is an interesting take on super heroes, and I was intrigued by this tale of a working woman and the area of Astro City that she comes from, which is a dark area of town known as Shadow Hill.  Who is she and her family, and what is this shadowy area?  I don't know if her family has some dark secrets or if they just happen to live in this suburb, but you get the notion that it's a spooky area with monsters roaming around in it.  I hope Busiek plans to reveal more about this area. 

I've been having to wait around the house somewhat, as my brother's house has a real estate contract on it, but...and that's always the kicker, the inspector found some rather costly repairs that we'll have to upgrade on it due to the structural shifting, if indeed we decide to go through with it, and sell to the current buyers.  This venture of selling his house has proved to be frustrating and somewhat an ordeal.  I'm not trying to be greedy about his house, I'd just like a fair market value, but the inspectors have been real nitpickers on this thing.  The takeaway is once it goes under contract, it has to get inspected.  If that contract fall through, and a new contract is agreed upon, you have to get a whole new inspection, and that inspector will more than likely find other things the previous inspector did not, and round and round.  Seems a racket to me, plus the fact that when my brother bought the house back in the mid-nineties, the inspector back then just gave it the quickie inspection and found absolutely nothing much to speak of.  Plus my brother has upgraded that house a great deal since he bought it, so I know, basically it's a solid house.



I watched part of an action film last night called The Expendables, with Sly Stallone and a bunch of action type actors.  I thought it was below par for the course--lots of splosions, lots of bullets flying, and unbelievable action. One of the climatic scenes (actually laughable)  has one of the good guys throwing an artillery shell up in the air and Stallone shoots at it with his machine gun.  One more big SPLOSION for good luck, course no one gets blasted off their feet or hit with shrapnel.  Unless an action film can rise to the occasion and really somehow say something different from what has come before it, I have a low tolerance for such fare.




I then watched a western, Hour of the Gun, with James Garner as Wyatt Earp and Jason Robards as Doc Holliday. It was pretty good, and I enjoy a good western, however, it was a sequel to the movie, Gunfight At the O.K. Corral, and that was a better movie.  This one takes place after that incident, and has Wyatt Earp going after the Clanton gang.   There's some court room drama at the beginning of the film that sort of took me out of the story a bit, but there were moments in the film that I enjoyed as well.  It made me think of how wild and wooly the west probably was back then.  Someone could probably shoot you from a darkened alley in the back if they had a grudge against you, and get away with it pretty easy.  I think the movie, Silverado or the movie title Wyatt Earp, might be better westerns however. 

I've been wanting to go see the new movie Pacific Rim movie, but with this whole real estate deal pending and such I hate to get out of pocket, but I may try and get away to see it later.  We'll see. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home