Sunday, July 07, 2013

Crap





So I sit here and it's Sunday morn, heading towards the noon  hour quickly.  I should have at least mowed the lawn by now.  I got up with the good intentions of attending church this morning, but looks like I blew that off.  I'm not a morning person.  I also have a bit of trouble with church or should I say, "organized" religion too.  During this whole gay marriage controversy I would hear things over the media addressing the issues of pro and cons, with most of the cons, of course, coming  from the religious right, or religious leaders, pundits, etc.

I heard one topic that said the Southern Baptist Convention thinks homosexuality is still a sin and this recent marriage thing is a blasphemy or whatever--the USA's road to ruin.  I also heard a talk forum on the radio in the car one day that echoed the same sort of line of thinking.  I normally switch the radio dial pretty quickly on that type thing, but decided to listen for a minute or two.  The guy talking went on to quote scriptures and proclaimed that homosexuality is indeed bad, a sin and so forth, and how it will lead to more broken homes and screwed up children that are adopted into such marriages, and yadda yadda.  And then,  they go on to say,  "Hey, I'm a sinner too.  I'm not perfect either.  But I try hard to discipline myself in the teachings of Christ or whatever, yadda yadda."   And I think, yeah, ok, well how is that any different from what a gay person does?   Which then lead me to the thought, aw, shut yer piehole (among other things) and changed the channel.

I guess these religious people never heard the story in the Bible about the people that were getting ready to stone a prostitute, and Jesus said, "those that haven't sinned, cast the first stone."  Nuff said.  I don't understand the necessity for religion to say anything about it, and why do so?  The only conclusion I can think of is--politics, and I think that's better left out of religion as well.  Remember that old amendment, Freedom of Religion?  So, it makes no sense to me.  Religious leaders wonder why their congregations are dwindling, but surely they can't have their heads that deep in the sand, can they?   The last church I attended (an evangelical Baptist church, I'll have to try another more liberal in outlook church), in their bulletin they had a topic opposing the gay  issue, and why they were against the change in this social trends, norms, and opinion.  And why they would not be swayed by public opinion, heaven forbid.  Again, I thought, hello?  Don't you get it?  Things change, and if society has changed to accept things, how about you giving it a try too.  Judge not, lest ye be judged.  End of soapbox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home