Saturday, May 19, 2012

Photobucket

To finish up with a part 2 of the Dallas trip, I continued to visit with my brother.  That Sunday we got up, and I read through some of the magazines that he'd gotten at Bill's Records the previous night before as he jumped on the internet and looked around.  He also works from home so he can keep tabs on that if he feels the need to.  He asked me if I'd help him go to Home Depot and get a piece of plywood as he has a small project he like to do, which is putting up a cover over the skylight in the den area.  He wanted the plywood so he could use it as a table top for two sawhorses he bought earlier, and since he doesn't have a truck, using mine came in handy--plus two men can handle the large piece of plywood better.  I didn't mind, so we did that and sort of looked around in Home Depot chatting about whether or not there might be a better alternative with the lumber.  We took that back to his place and then we were both hungry so went to Luby's for a meal.  It was a good choice.  I had a nice hot chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes.

We went back to his place, and I'd brought my bike with me as he has a nice riding path he enjoys riding on to get a bit of exercise.  In Tyler where I live there are designated areas to ride bikes, but none I feel safe on yet.  To tell you the truth, I think the drivers here are pretty bad for a small town, but they pretty much suck all over (famous quote for the day).  They tail gait, which is the idiot's folly, and they blow their horn at anything that displeases them, which again, lighten up people.  It's a shame as I really enjoyed bike riding in West Texas.  It was all flat, and I'd get out to ride several times a week in nice weather.  At any rate, the bike ride was fun.  You do have to watch for traffic while riding through the neighborhood to get there, but once you get to the trail which he enjoys riding on, you can pretty much kick back and enjoy it.  Oddly I saw some speed signs along the pathway posted for (I think it was) 10 miles per hour.  I asked him later what that was about, and he said they posted those because some biker not long ago was hauling ass like he was in Tour de France, and ran into a jogger, killing her.  I guess there's a few idiot cyclist out there too. Sigh. We got back to his place and watched the new Sherlock on PBS.  It was a update of the Hounds of the Baskervilles.  It was quite enjoyable.

Photobucket

On Monday my brother had to work, so I struck out on my own.  There's a Half Price Books on Independence over where he lives.  It's smaller, but more intimate.  There are many outlets in Dallas of the branch stores, I usually try to hit up more than one.  While there I saw a guy in a wheel chair going through the vinyl, and asked him if he collected 45s, which is what he was looking at.  We chatted for a while, and he told me he had 20,000 lps.  I would have liked to have seen that!  I found the Genesis Songbook DVD, which contains archive footage and interviews of the British progressive rock band.  I also found a hardback copy of Joe R. Landsdale's Vanilla Ride.  It's another story of two detectives, Leonard Pine and Hap Collins.  Leonard is a black gay veteran, Hap is a straight white male.  Together they solve cases, and are hired to rescue an old friends daughter from an abusive, no-good drug dealer.  It just so happens that the drug dealer is on the bottom rung of the Dixie Mafia.  Landsdale writes rip snorting tales, but also fills them with a great deal of good ole boy style humor. 

I also found a graphic novel, The Dreamer by Will Eisner, which is his tale of how comics got their start, and how he started his own shop, and hired other famous artist to draw and write--like Bob Kane and Jack Kirby.  I also found a collect book of Prince Valiant, Far from Camelot by Mark Schultz and Gary Gianni.  They are the current scribes to take on the legend of Prince Valiant, who was once written and drawn by Hal Foster.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home