Sunday, October 16, 2011

Photobucket

It's Sunday and a really beautiful day today, and really it's been that way all week now that the days have gotten a bit cooler. The Cowboy vs. New England game has just started, which I'll probably watch, interspersed by the Houston Texan game. Oddly they've been showing at the same time slots right next to each other on my cable, so it's easy to keep up with both games.

This past week I went to the library and returned the Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara book which I'd checked out. It was pretty good, but I think I favor the first two books in the series a bit more. That said though the art is still top notch. While I was there, I found a book that looked interesting as lately I've been interested in bettering my health. Like everyone else, back when I was working, I didn't have time to do anything about it. I worked eight to ten hours per day, didn't have time for anywhere near a decent diet, or exercise. On the weekends, that first day off was basically a down day to just decompress from the previous week, and if I found the energy, I'd do a few chores. It was a rat race. I've had high blood pressure, and rather than just going along with the medical community and big pharma, I've gone my own route of self-education and trying to find ways and means to lower my blood pressure, finding proper things to eat, and just read more about overall health.

Like probably a lot of people, I never knew what was proper nutrition, and really didn't have time to mess with it. I ate too much Taco Bell and fast foods in general, ignorantly thinking, well, it's meat, beans, some lettuce, it can't be that bad, right? Wrong. I started learning more about the sodium content of foods. One of my favorite foods, which I thought was healthy was Campbell's soup. Wrong again, it's very high in sodium as well. No wonder people are overweight and in poor health these days. Most manufactures create foods for taste, which means a lot of sodium and preservatives, the same for fast foods. I started wondering: Well, heck, what can you eat? You can't just live off of lentils, although that might be a healthy route, though you might get burned out pretty quickly.

So anyway I ran across the book, Eight Weeks To Optimum Health by Andrew Weil, M.D. So far it's an interesting book, which adds to some of my information I've already learned about one's health--eat more fresh or frozen veggies and fruit. Stay away from processed foods. Exercise a little bit each day, even if it's just a short thirty minute walk. Weil's philosophy is holistic in nature: health is wholeness and balance in life. Perfect health is not possible, though overall good health can be achieved--it's a dynamic and temporary state of equilibrium. So far in the book he contrast Eastern science with Western. He states that the Eastern outlook is more defensive. I heard one doctor on the Dr. Oz show state rather than getting to the point where your health has broken down completely and you have to see a doctor, start today by doing just a little bit each day to benefit yourself. He described food as being daily medicine. Eat the right things each day. One of the reasons I picked up the book was that there are recipes in it. I find that helpful.

So I'm reading that book, and I hope I can find Spontaneous Healing by him as well or books by others on similar subjects. Other than that, I'm doing some chores around the house to stay caught up. Season 2 of The Walking Dead starts tonight on AMC. I read the latest issue of TWD #89 of that the other day, and I have to say it's still high on my must read list. I'm not a huge zombie or horror fan, although I certainly enjoy the genre. The Walking Dead is certainly about zombies, but Robert Kirkman, the author also has a lot of drama with the characters in his stories as well. Not only do you have to keep vigilant about zombies, but you have to watch you back with all the humans that are left as well. At any rate, it's a compelling read, I'm sure the second season will be interesting too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home