Monday, June 27, 2011

Photobucket

I woke up today with the chirping of a bird, which is nothing too unusual living out in the country, particularly one that's so wooded. I opened up a few blinds to see if I could tell where it's coming from, and dammit, it was from the garage. It must have gotten into the garage last night while I had the door up, or possibly flew into it when I came and went to the grocery store. So goes life I suppose. I opened the garage door and got a broom and tried to flush it out of the back of the garage where it was located, hoping I would startle it and fly out, but no such luck. It squawked at me and ran to another location, so I assume it's sick, injured, or too young to fly, although it looks to be an adult, although I'm no authority on birds. Now he's wedged itself between a bunch of boxes etc. so it's going to be a bit of a hassle to get it out.

The thought crossed my mind on how my dad might have handled this affair. He probably would have just killed it. I don't know if he would have startled it like I did and give it a chance to fly out, or just crushed it. Crushing it seems cruel to me, but it would have solved the problem. Plus my Dad being a vet from WWII and seeing action, death, and the rest I sometimes felt hardened him on such matters. He respected life, I'm sure, but on the other hand, he didn't have too much a problem disposing with it when the time came. I remember him killing a rabbit once in our backyard when I was a kid that had gotten trapped in a chain link fence. It had mangled part of its leg. He told us to go get a hammer, he was going to put it out of its misery, and he told us to go on and play, but I knew what he had to do. At any rate, I'll eat breakfast and think about the bird dilemma.

Over the weekend I went to four estate sales. I don't normally go to your garden variety garage sales, mostly of the time they are just selling off junk they don't want to haul off to the dump. The better things are normally found in estate sales. Sometimes though they can be a bust as well. The first two, I hit on Friday as they were in the same area south of town. They were in some nice homes as well. I didn't find anything, however, it was fun looking. The first house I looked at had certain areas you could look in, but roped off the rest of the home so you couldn't go into the entire house, but it was a nice two story house. I noticed that in the bathroom they even had a small sauna room in it. Also I noticed that in the master bedroom, the owner had a small TV mounted above the bed. Oddly that's the first time I've seen that. The second estate sale was in the same location but in a harder area to get in and out of being in a gated community where the road to and from the home was too narrow, and people parked along the side of the street, so traveling through the area was difficult. I decided to park outside the gates, and walk to the house. They had some interesting stuff, but again, I left without a purchase. By this time, the heat had started to really get hot, and I was ready to get home, and eat something. I think I took a short nap, and watched Roger Ebert's At the Movies on PBS, along with a movie from Netflix, called Get Low. It' a good movie starring Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray and others where Duvall plays the role of a hermit in the Tennessee outback who decides to have his own funeral while he's still alive. There's a reveal towards the end, but it's an interesting film.

Photobucket

Later that night, I picked up a Friday newspaper, and an American Classified, and found two other sales. I got up fairly early Saturday, and hit the one that was going to end around 1pm. It was in an older section of town, but had some cool stuff to look at. Although the home where it was at was older, they had a lot of neat restoration done to the house. I could tell the owner was proud of his heritage (Scottish) as he had collected different items of that nature. They had some several items that were sort of cool, but I thought their prices were a bit pricey, although being the last day of the sale, were half off the sticker price. I think this is generally a rule of thumb for estate sales: the last day is half off. They had some neat lamps, but nothing I needed.

Photobucket

I found a pretty interesting book on Sherlock Holmes there. It's called Sherlock Holmes In London by Charles Viney, and has photographs along with six of Doyle's tales. From his introduction he cites 1874 as the earliest known date for a story (The Gloria Scott) and 1914 as the latest (His Last Bow). Consequently, he reproduced photographs of London locations mentioned in the Holmes cannon between those dates, and tied them to the dates in the story, if known. I've never read any Sherlock Holmes and the photos enhance the stories. I also found a bunch of tomato cages there for a good price, which I can use.

The second sale I visited Saturday was held by a church in town, and was a bust. It was mostly junk, and the only reason I went was because their ad said they had CDs and DVDs, but I found neither, and when I say junk, I really mean junk. So I left there pretty quickly. I got home and ate, and did a few chores. Later that night I wanted to watch a movie, Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, that a friend had recommended a while back. I knew a little bit about it, and since it's not available on DVD for rental, gave it a watch. It's an odd, light movie that's influenced by the pulps. It's sort of along the line of maybe Indiana Jones, but a lot quirkier, and has a lot of humor in it. To give you an indication of the quirkiness, it begins with a black cop who dies or at least a "faked death" while fighting crime, and then wakes up in a hospital room as a white man. (How this transformation takes place is unexplained.) He is dubbed Remo Williams, by a mysterious covert operator, who gets his name, Remo Williams, from the bottom of a bed pan. The covert operator works for CURE an organization that tries to preserve the Constitution by working outside the law, and their current target is a shady industrialist selling faulty weapons to the military. It's based on the popular pulp series "The Destroyer," by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy. It was a fun movie for a Saturday night.

I guess I'll see what I can do about that bird situation...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home