Thursday, May 05, 2011

Photobucket

The other night I watched the movie The American with George Clooney, Violante Placido as Clara, who played an Italian villager, and Paolo Bonacelli who played Father Benedetto. I really enjoyed it and it reminded me of a throw back in style to some earlier movies from the 70's or 80's like The Passenger with Jack Nicholson, although I thought The American was a better film. It also reminded me a bit of Alfred Hitchcock and also something like Gene Hackman in The Conversation, where he becomes involved in his job as a surveillance man and we watch him as he goes through his routine of wire-tapping. All of these films are different from each other in subject matter, The Passenger for me is the weakest, but at the same time, they have a similar feel to them, and The American sort of picked up that vibe.

At any rate, George Clooney is a good actor that picks good roles and scripts for the most part. In The American he plays an assassin, although we aren't privy to who he works for. That's another thing about the film that appealed to me, but may turn off others--there are fill-in-the-blanks to the plot, nuances, and not everything is totally spelled out, for instance, Clooney's past. We walk into the end of his career, his departure or the point in time where he'd like to exit the career, and at the same time we wonder (along with Clooney's character) if that's possible. While watching it, I wondered about people in these type situations/jobs. Do they just live for the moment, enjoy the pay and all the things money buys, and when the time comes, their death will be quick, and game over or what? At any rate, the movie was a little bit of style over substance, but in this film that appealed to me as well. Lighting played a large part of the style where splashes of orange or cool aqua blues would be used to frame shots. All in all a cool film, I wouldn't mind owning a copy.

2 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I'll give it a whirl.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Hey Ultra, how's things in the UK? You might like it. I just got a jury's notice to appear in court later this month--yay me. Thanks for the drop by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home