Monday, April 11, 2011

Photobucket

Hey Kids, Comics!

I kind of swiped that title from a friend of mine. He used to put out a few zines, comics, and for a while used to have a blog. Hey Drew. At any rate, he had a column with the same title. I thought I'd use it to highlight a few recent online comics. The amazing thing about online comics is that they are just as well produced as regular paper comics and fun to read. But these are free. How can you go wrong? Just go to the web link and start reading.

I thought I'd preview a friend's online comic first. I used to know Tom Floyd when he lived in Odessa in the 80's. He worked for a while at a comic shop (among other jobs), and was also writing and drawing a comic on the Elite label called Epsilon Wave, and some of their other titles as well. Epsilon Wave had an interesting plot/story in that it dealt with dreams, and the character he created would become a super hero under dream therapy. Since Elite was such a small independent label and didn't have the enormous funding of say, Marvel or DC, or even some of the smaller labels like a Dark Horse or Image, etc., they eventually went under. That's too bad as I would have liked to have seen where they went with Epsilon Wave and even their Sea Dragon title.

Well the current thing Tom is working on is his Captain Spectre and The Lightning Legion title. Tom makes no bones about being influenced by the pulps, stuff like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, and writer like them that are high adventure. He also likes old movie serials and stuff that he grew up with from his childhood like Tarzan, Roy Rogers, Flash Gordon, Superman, and other heroes. Captain Spectre grew out of that love, and is a throwback to the Commando Cody: King of the Rocket Men serial. He started the strip in color, but eventually went to black and white, and I think with the switch to the newer black and white format has concentrated a lot more on his art work, which improves each time he puts pencil to paper. At any rate, check his comic out: here.

I also ran into a couple of other interesting comics. This next one is fairly light in story, but I think the art work is interesting. It's called Abominable about a Abominable Snowman or Yeti. I haven't read all of the story yet, and it's still ongoing. It reminded me of something similar to Walt Kelly's Pogo strip and also a bit of something like Jeff Smith's Bone, in that the artist, Charles Christopher, uses a bunch of forest animals as characters, and the Yeti creature is sort of a sympathetic caretaker of the forest. Sort of like Swamp Thing or Man-Thing, but with out the horror elements to it. You can read it: here.

And last, I found this fantasy strip, The Bean by Travis Hanson, which I thought was quite good. The art work took me a while to warm up to, but the story is what drew me in rather fast. It follows a young boy whose father has been killed. He works for a tavern (more or less as a captive orphan), yet longs for his father and is unhappy with his current situation. I really thought this was pretty good: here.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Tom Floyd said...

Wow, Thanks for the write up, I do appreciate you bringing new readers on board. I will be glad to finish the comic for print, so I can get back to the on line strip someday. Thanks so much.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

No problem Tom, glad to do it. Hope you get some relief with the arthritis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home