Thursday, April 07, 2011

Photobucket

Alan Moore, the British comic book writer, who penned The Watchman, From Hell (about Jack the Ripper), The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, among other titles like Swamp Thing, Miracleman, and many others is now working on Neonomicon. It's a comic taking some of the H.P.Lovecraft mythos, updating it, and creating a modern detective yarn around that. I ran into the fourth issue in Hastings of all places. Before that I'd read a preview of the comic on the Avatar Press web site, which at least gave the reader a flavor of what it might be about. A lot of people think Moore has grown lazy by going back to this formula--taking an old mythology and updating it. I think some of that might be jealousy on their behalf. I say that as his modern work still offers a lot on the cutting edge of pop culture. Now granted his newest work, Neonomicon, is a bit shocking, offensive, etc. I thought about that, and then I thought H.P. Lovecraft probably was equally just as shocking in his day. So it's only fitting that an update should be as well. And it is. For me, from what I can glean from the preview and fourth book, Moore still is edgy, and enjoys pushing the envelope. It starts out with two federal agents going to an insane asylum to question a serial killer. The set up reminded me of Silence of the Lambs a little bit, except the inmate speaks to them in a Lovecraftian jibberish. You can check out the preview: here.

While looking around about the Neonomicon title, I ran across this site dealing with Moore's newest magazine as well. It's called Dodgem Logic. The magazine seems to be a mixture of things near and dear to Moore's own eccentric heart: comics, politics, gardening, and whatever else he wishes to include. The site, though a bit slow to load up, has three videos on it with fairly recent interviews with Moore. I was surprised at how congenial and humorous he was. Those are pretty funny if you have the time. The three videos take a time to load, so you'll have to be patient. Check them out: here.

Hint: Like some online videos, they are a bit wonky loading. I had to joggle the loading thing at the bottom of the video screen until it would smoothly work, otherwise the video would buffer and be choppy. But after a bit it would straighten out and work.

Otherwise: I was under the weather yesterday. Didn't do much but veg out yesterday. I guess I ate something that didn't agree with me. Feeling better today, and ate breakfast and drank some coffee, so I guess I'm back on the road to health.

3 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Tom Floyd said...

Glad you are feeling better. And thanks for that link. I will watch them soon.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger benjibopper said...

Sounds like a worthy effort to me.

Speaking of reinterpreting old material, have you heard of Kill Shakespeare? A comic in which the bard's greatest characters must hunt down the mysterious god named...Shakespeare, and then either kill him or save him.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Tom: yep, much better now thanks, yeah the Moore interviews are fun, though take a little patients to watch and load. I always thought Moore was some brooding git (which he may be), but in those videos it shows in in a totally different light.

benjibopper: I haven't heard of Kill Shakespeare, sounds like an interesting premise though. I'll look out for it thanks. I really enjoyed Shakespeare In Love the film. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home