Thursday, March 10, 2011



I've always been a bit of a Sci-fi geek. I make no apologies. Why would or should I? I saw one of those 60 Minutes news-formatted programs on TV where they said that kids today don't care much for the geek term or like to be associated with it. I can understand that I suppose having gone through high school myself etc. Normally we think of it as someone that's antisocial or lacking basic proper etiquette or social skills. A lot of that comes from pop culture, I guess. But at the same time the program said these are the same kids in high school that go on to become artist like Spielberg, math scholars, writer, scientist, etc. I guess that a broad generalization. Besides this posting doesn't have a lot to do with that anyway. I just enjoy some of that genre and ran across a pretty cool site with some cool art work etc. If you are like minded, check it out: here. The site, Split Lip Horror, which really doesn't deal much with horror, it seems to be more about SF, appears to just be one of those sites that deals with the medium, art work, news, and highlights of the genre that appeals to the geek in me.

Photobucket

Back when I was a kid growing up, I also used to put together models. I started out building war airplanes and old cars. There was a sort of 50's car culture back then, probably due to Big Daddy Roth, Beach Boy songs and other pop groups, drag strips, pop culture, and so forth. At any rate, I graduated from the airplanes and hotrods to some of those Big Daddy Roth models called Weird Ohs, which were sort stylized, grotesque monsters driving some old hot rod, riding a surf board or something similar. It seemed the more hideous the monster, the more it appealed to me. Teen angst, I guess. My brother was into to a little bit. We also bought some of the old Universal Monster kits like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, and so forth. We had a built-in book case back in our part of the house, and we'd display them there. Once we moved from East Texas to West Texas my mother trashed them, I'm sure to lighten the load, and probably truth be known, she didn't like the looks or influence of them. At any rate, I still find that pastime sort of interesting even though I haven't dabbled with the hobby in years. The last few things I built back then were some of those balsa wood framed models and you'd stretch paper over them and sort of glue the paper over the frames with a sort of liquid fixative, all of it probably not that great for you to inhale, but it's not like we abused it back then either. You just needed a little ventilation. At any rate, I ran across this pretty neat model site with some pictures on it for the dedicated modeler, and I thought I'd share it: here. Check out the link to the Reader Gallery for photos. And scroll further down to the bottom of that page and you can find a window, which says Select a catogory to choose, and you can view other models to look at from monsters to space ships, etc.

A library sale today. I think I'll take that in and see if I can run across something cool. More later.

4 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Arlee Bird said...

We must be of similar age. The "Mother's Worry" model brought back memories as I had that one, as well as the Rat Fink models and other Big Daddy Roth kits, and just about all of the Universal Monster series. I spent hours building those things. Then at some point after I discovered that plastic burns in a really cool way I started taking them back to a creek behind our house and burning them one by one. Cheap momentary thrills, but I wish I still had all of those models with a duplicate set still unopened in the boxes. I'd start selling them.

Lee
Tossing It Out

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

I blew up a few of my models and toys with firecrackers. What is it about men that makes us want to destroy things? Is it a gender thing? There was another line of models like the Weird-Ohs, I forget the name of that particular kit, but evidently a knockoff of the Roth series, but they reissued some of them about five to ten years back. I think one of them had a hillbilly in a dragster, which looked like an outhouse--they were outrageous, but certainly appealed to the male teen psyche ;) I picked up one or two for old time's sake ;)

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Arlee Bird said...

Yes! The Weirdo series--I believe I also had the outhouse one, or at least remember seeing it. Then were the cars inspired by "The Munsters".
I don't know what it is about the adolescent male brain, but I know I wasn't the only one being destructive. Unfortunately a lot of those male brains don't change as they grow into adulthood.

Lee
Tossing It Out

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Ha, yeah, that's right, about the male brain. I think we grow out of it somewhat, but for some men it just grows more intense with age. How else can one explain demolition derbies & crushing things with monster trucks?

That sounds right, it was Weirdo, just a little different spelling. I have some of them around here somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home