Saturday, November 06, 2010

movie

Well, the midterm elections came and went this week like an ill wind blowing over a cattle lot. Sorry, I'm not that much into politics. I will go out and vote, but all the hot air and mudslinging from everyone involved is a turnoff to me. I'd like to see candidates debate each other, and some of the people on the ballots I'd never heard of--so why would I vote for them? So I voted straight Democratic ticket, and to heck with the rest of them. I feel like I'm independent at times, but since I'm not against abortion as I think that's an individual's own personal issue nor do I feel that the whole gay issues are anything to get excited about. Hey, if you are gay and want to service your country, why not? And why would they have to conceal and hide that fact? As far as gay marriage I don't know how that could be accomplished, perhaps it could be made into some contract. I can understand the issue, but calling it a marriage might offend some people, so I don't know, but I don't know about a lot of stuff--no disclaimer needed there :)

The marijuana thing almost passed in California, which actually I was hoping it would. I'm not a user, but would if I thought I could get legal access and needed it for some malady or whatever. Right now though, I'm healthy and generally happy. But in California it seems like they could use the tax revenue, and hey, there's almost legal weed out there right now with all that medical hooch being smoked. Medical, right? It's not like there's not a huge demand for it here in the ole USA. Maybe it might stop some of the Mexican trafficking and ease up some of that violence across the border if we grew our own over here. Either way, I doubt unless we do dicriminalize it, things won't change much.

As far as all the Tea Baggers and right wingers going on and on about less government, less taxes, I hear a lot of complaining and finger pointing and smoke screening, but not much SOLUTIONS. Do they want to do away with social security (which is what Gov.Rick Perry seems to hint at)? While we're at it let's also do away with Medicare and Medicaid, welfare, and I guess any of those government programs. I got mine, if someone needs a helping hand, screw up, let them starve and die on the side of the road like roadkill, hahaha. I've tried to get a handle on this and understand their whole agenda on that, but until I do, and it's spelled out as to what the heck they really mean, I consider it hot air & politics. As far as less taxes, yeah, guess what, I don't like paying taxes either. I guess we can go live in LalaLand and not have them, but if you want some semblance of an infrastructure: bridges, roads, schools, etc., you're probably going to have to pay some taxes. And if you want to get the USA back on its feet again, you'll probably have to spend some money to do that too otherwise, like President Obama said, it's not going to add up with the math. I don't think everything President Obama has done was the right way to go about it, but at the same time, the only thing he's done that a Republican president wouldn't have done, is pass the health care reform. I have misgivings about that too. It's too long winded to write about, and there's already plenty of it on the web, but unless it were a package that was more specific and spelled out, I would have dropped it and move along with our economy and the jobs situation. At least he allowed people under age 26 to still be carried on their parent's insurance, and at least that's something. Nuff said.

I'm sitting here watching Rick Steves' travel show. He's in Granada and Cordoba Spain and around those areas. Being an armchair traveler and also when I can get around to it, also a real life traveler, these travel shows have always appealed to me. Rick tends to go to a lot of the more out of the way places and does so on a budget, but I think his main message is however you wish to travel, do it with gusto and enjoy the trip. He'll tell a little bit about the history of the place he's visiting, show what they might have for meals in the region, enjoy a little libation, and hits a few landmarks. All in all a fun travel show.

This past week I watched the Dreamworks animated movie, How To Train Your Dragon. It was fun and had an all ages approach to it, so kids could enjoy the adventure, yet appealed to the kid in us all no matter your age. It was mostly about a young Viking boy named Hiccup trying to gain a little respect from his Dad, friends, and the people in the community they live. There was a lot of humor, and had colorful scenes with different species of dragons, it was pretty enjoyable all the way around.

There was a book sale here in Tyler held by the medical community to raise funds. To my understanding it's an annual thing each November. So I dropped by there to check it out. Here's a small tip: don't do this after drinking a lot of coffee in the morning. I walked around and looked, but with my full bladder couldn't stay long. It didn't matter as I didn't think too much of their book sale. I guess I'm completely spoiled by Midland's gianormous books sales of the past. Now THOSE were book sales, and I loved going to those. This one, not so much to get excited about. Once I got away from there I HAD to find a public restroom, so cruised over to Hastings. I found a couple of deals there though to boot.

comics

I ran across this IDW published copy of William-Messner-Loebs' Journey. It's about the adventures of frontiersman, Joshua Wolverine MacAlistaire and the Fort Miami Settlement populated by both reall-life and fictional characters, and contains the comic issues 1-16, the first of a two volume set. Plus I got it for $5., yay me.

comics

I also found this slim volume #13 of Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima on Dark Horse comics for a buck. Yay, me again. Lone Wolf & Cub has brilliant plotting and visual artwork, but they also examine a lot of different aspects of political, philosophical, and social structure of feudal Japan. The story deals with Itto Ogami (Lone Wolf) and his son Daigoro (the Cub). In the ongoing storyline Ogami is the betrayed executioner of the Shogun, and since his setup (or betrayal by his former employer) he is exiled or forced to roam the Japanese countryside with his son. With each new challenge, this masterless samurai (or ronin) takes one step closer to his eventual revenge on the Yagyu clan, and reestablish his good name. In Japan these became a multi-million best-selling graphic novel with it's sweep of epic storytelling, unforgettable characters, and nonstop action.

comics

Last night, I caught another Dreamworks animated film I was wanting to see. It was the Asian influenced film, Kung Fu Panda, and again like the movie How To Train Your Dragon, if you enjoy the Pixar films like Wall-E, or Finding Nemo and such, you'll surely enjoy these two films as well. Jack Black plays the starring role as the panda, and he's mysteriously picked as the hero to save this village. Kung Fu Panda really had some nice scenes in the story, and most of the visuals were outstanding as well. I think the philosophical praise that hit me most was when the old aged turtle tells the panda about life, stating: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow remains unknown, today is the present, which is why it is a gift." Very well said.

Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home