Thursday, September 30, 2010

Incognito

I love the cover to this forth coming run on Incognito. Ed Brubaker is the writer, and he has written a lot of good comics like Captain America (Marvel super hero), Scalped (crime), and Incognito (pulp inspired) to name a few. I became aware of him, when he first started writing his real life comic, Low Life. I enjoyed those, although, I think the art work, which he drew himself, might not be everyone's cup of tea leaning more towards an alternative/indie art style. But that didn't bother me, a lot of comics within that genre have that style: a more personal, homemade or less professional look to them. For me though, that's not a bad thing, just a different look, and sometimes that works well with the comic storytelling. In Low Life, Brubaker portrays himself as a slacker, aimless as most teenagers, though funny, and could be thought-provoking, generally having something to do with teen subculture: music, working dead end jobs, drinking, dating, hanging out with friends, etc.

He has since to gone on to write high profile jobs with Marvel and other companies, and has become one of the current hot writers. I'm not real familiar with Incognito, but just the look to the above cover is enough to gain my interest. I enjoyed reading stuff like that back when I was buying and reading comic on a regular basis, and reminds me of stuff like some of the Batmans, The Question, Vigilante, and The Shadow, Jon Sable, and so forth. There's a current interview with Brubaker over at www.ifanboy.com if you care to listen in or save it to listen to later. I like iFanboy and go there nearly every week to listen to their podcast and watch their video cast. It sort of satiates my fan boy and comic book enthusiasm. I don't collect comics like I used to anymore, they're just to darn expensive, and I don't have room to store them either. I think the best way to revive that hobby is perhaps the e-comic when they iron out all the details. I certainly wouldn't have any objections to just reading comics on say an I-Pad (although I don't own one yet), particularly if they'll lower the price. If they wanted to charge the same price, I have to question that: there would be no printing cost, no distribution, no paper cost, why is the price still the same? Granted, I know you'd still have to pay for electronic storage, and so forth. At any rate, if you want to check out the interview with Burbaker, head over to iFanboy.

3 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've read American Splendor.

This sort of personal storytelling seems to be in that vein.

I like how, in the film of American Splendor, Pekar just draws these really basic frames - literally just filled with shapes of what he wants in them, plus the text.

Robert Crumb sees the potential and draws them for him.

I love that.

Anyhow, I'm veering. This comic does look good. I'm pretty much entry level with comics and fgraphic novels, for the most part - Watchmen, Deadpool, V for Vendetta - that sort of thing.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Yep, I followed Pekar's American Splendor for a long time. I think he may have weakened in his storytelling when he shifted over to Dark Horse, but generally I'd still pick them up and read them. Plus picked up his Cancer Year book. In one of my past post I talk about meeting him at a Dallas Con. I own the DVD as well.

I dunno if the libraries over there have graphic novels, but depending on the libraries here in the states some of the more urban/hip ones carry them. I would think that's a natural for getting kids to read (plus us old geezers wanna read them too). If you are just perusing the graphic novels, check with your library--certainly more economic.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I shall give it a go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home