Sunday, September 26, 2010

batman and guns

A friend and me used to talk comics over pizza along with other topics, but he queried about a Frank Miller article, who is famous for writing the limit series comic The Dark Knight Returns. At any rate Miller stated that the Batman used to wear a gun, and people seemed to have forgotten that. I forget why he even mentioned that, unless he used a gun in one of the Batman stories he had written. At any rate I seemed to remember the same article or either we both saw it on television or somewhere, and it sort of stuck with me: When did Batman carry a gun? I've certainly never encountered it. Granted I don't have a PhD, in Batman History, heck, I don't even have a Masters degree in the Doom Patrol. All kidding aside though the question has always been in the back of my mind. Well here the other day, I posted the question on an internet comic site, I figured there's gotta be a comic fan around there to point me in the right direction. And sure enough, someone sent me a link to go to.

Rather than swipe this guy's thunder, I'll just give you the link and if interested you can see the examples he gives with the whole Batman and gun thing:

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2005/08/batman-and-guns.html

Now I probably know what you're thinking. Yeah, ok, you got me, there are some references with the Batman and guns, but I also feel this is sort of stretching the point a little to make a point.

batman and guns

4 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I had a look at that link. It was interesting to see Batman using weapons. But I think it's generally a means to an end. Especially with the vampire.

If you want to see an approximation of Batman might behave if he were to use a gun on film, watch Kick-Ass.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Mosh--yep, I've seen Kick-Ass the movie, and actually I rather hated it. I did enjoy the comic though, and after that, didn't need the film. However, I've read where a lot have enjoyed it.

I think the Batman & the gun evidence given is flimsy at best. For me, if a gangster drops a gun in a story, and Batman & Robin, defeat a gang of hoods, and picks up the weapon, and hands it over to the police, that's not really him "using" a weapon. Or if it shows him driving around town, with a gun rack in the back of his Batmobile, again, pretty weak example.

To me, if there's going to be an example of Batman using a gun, there should be some stories where he actually is using a weapon, not that he has to be the Punisher or anything, but at least a few runs or story arcs, where perhaps he thinks things in Gotham have gotten so out of hand, that using a weapon has become necessary. Just my two cents :)

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I like that idea: maybe a one-shot story where things do get so bad in Gotham, Batman goes to town on the criminals with weapons.

Thinking about it, my brother used to have a graphic novel where something like that happens.

Hang on.....searching....

Batman: The Cult

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Hum, really. I have The Cult around here somewhere, I'll have to reread it. As I recall it had art by Bernie Wrightson. Must go to storage boxes, thanks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home