Saturday, August 07, 2010

mountain men

Staying on the topic of westerns, I thought before I post a few more western movies and some comics I've enjoyed over the years, I ran across this online comic, which fits into this genre as well. It's an online comic by the comic creator, Gary Chaloner. If I'm not mistaken he's done some Spirit & John Law comics, which were characters which had their origins from Will Eisner. At any rate this online comic is from the writer R. E. Howard, which as you may know also created Conan the Barbarian, King Kull, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Red Sonja, the sailor, Steve Costigan (the underappreciate character), and many other characters, including this western figure, whose name is Breckinridge Elkins.

These stories were set in the American frontier, and as you can read from the strip, have a humor about them. It's pretty different from Howard's Conan stories. In a way, they are reminiscent of another comic character that I enjoyed reading, William Messner-Loeb's Journey comic, which were about the adventures of a frontiersmen named Wolverine MacAlistaire. If you ever run across any of these comics, buy them. They are neat windows of frontier life and history.

At any rate, here's the link to the online adventures of Breckinridge Elkins:
http://www.breckinridgeelkins.com/?p=14

Staying on the topic of R.E.Howard, I also ran into some ways to read the original Breckinridge Elkins stories. I have to say, I really wasn't aware of this character until I ran into this online comic. At any rate, here's a link to Library Archive. They are a non-profit, public domain source for a way to read or hear things that are no longer in print, or the artist/musicians don't mind sharing music from their live performances ie. The Grateful Dead.

It took me a while to figure out how to get my Adobe reader on my computer to be able to read the Breckinridge Elkins story, but once I figured out I needed to download an add-on piece of software (available at the Library Archive site), I was up and running. The add-on is called Lizard Tech DjVu, and is a file or files to aid computers and these new reading devices like the Kindle and iPad to read stuff. So once you get that you should be able to read the stories.

Here's the link to the Library Archive of the R.E. Howard stuff:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Robert+E.+Howard%22

If you choose to get the Elkins stuff, you'll need to scroll down to about the middle of the page, click on Breckinridge Elkins, and then in the left column, you'll see, View the Book: at the top. Scroll all the way to the bottom in that left hand column, where you see, All Files: HTTP. Click the HTTP link. That will start the download.

You'll need to click that & download the files to read all the stories. It took me about a hour to download them, but once that starts you can find something to do and come back later. Underneath that where it says: Help reading text, I believe, is where I found the add-on to Adobe to read the stories. Remember, you'll need to download that file too. You can also do a Google search on the Lizard Tech Djvu too.

More on westerns later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home