Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kirby

So I've been feeling under the weather lately. I came down with salmonella or food poisoning last Friday August 20th. I'm not sure where I picked it up, but talk about knocking you off your feet. When I woke up Friday morning to make matters worse, I was supposed to have a new refrigerator delivered from Lowe's, but when I woke up with their phone call, I was dizzy, and the room spun around like a durn merry-go-round from Hell. I called them back several times and finally got them to postpone the delivery. I've never experienced that before, even though I've had food poisoning before, and generally can recover within a 12 to 24 hour period. However, I'm still feeling the effects, sort of a bit feverish at times, and sometimes dizzy and weak, so I guess I'll give it a bit more time, and hopefully things will be back to normal.

That Friday all I did was stay in bed, and tried to at least drink a small bit of water, but couldn't keep anything down, and when I'd open my eyes the merry-go-round would begin again, and then it was time to ride the porcelain bus. Not fun, believe me. I called my brother after a couple of days, and he asked me if I'd eaten any eggs, which I had, so I don't know if it was that or perhaps the two hamburgers I ate at Burger King--it's hard to say. But since there's the recent news all over the place about the salmonella eggs, I think it might have been that culprit. But again, who knows? The only thing I wondered over this event was: Where is the governmental agencies like the FDA or whoever that's supposed to protect the public before such outbreaks begin? It seems like we have more and more of these events. Last year they were having a similar thing over tomatoes or peppers or lettuce, and such. So what's safe anymore? I thought this stuff used to be wholesome.

Oh well, I have minded my time here and there watching some stuff on TV, and watched a neat short film called La Jetee, which is the short French film that the SF film, 12 Monkeys, came from. I enjoyed it, and it was pretty experimental, just being static photos with a voice-over track that told the futuristic tale of a time traveling psychonaut (sort of). He's a lab experiment from the bombed out future, going to different times trying to find a way to save humanity from the time he's from, which has suffered the after effects of a nuclear bombing. You might find it on Youtube, I don't know, you'll just have to see if they do if you're interested, but it's worth the effort if it is.

Kirby

I got up today, felt a little better, but still not up to full speed and leap a tall building at a single bound, and was looking around the blog-o-sphere. I ran into this one guy's cool blog about Jack Kirby among other pop topics. Check out the picture above, I found it randomly on the net, but that short fellow is The King of Comics, Mr. Kirby, and even though the photo found was not labeled, I think that is Paul and Linda McCartney with him. Too cool.

The guy's blog that I found today is: www.waffyjon.blogspot.com If you go there, you'll find a couple of neat Youtube episodes on Kirby. One is a two-part biography with Mark Evanier conducting the video short. It's not very long, maybe twenty minutes, but a neat video. The most recent Kirby video on his site is a short one of Kirby in his studio from around 1993. There's also a rather long video from a New York Con. That one is about an hour, which has Mark Evanier as host, Roy Thomas, editor and writer, Joe Sinnott (he inked some Kirby comics), and Stan Goldberg (he was a colorist,and also did the Millie the Model comic for a while). At any rate, it's a fairly long episode, but if you are into the older classic guys, and want to hear them spin a few old war tales, check it out. It's pretty neat.

Kirby

At any rate, what I thought was brought out in the longer panel episode from NY was that even though Jack Kirby was very influential, creative, and brilliant with his art, really his best years, in some aspects were working in those early years with Marvel and Stan Lee. I've always given Lee a bit of short shrift, but I do think he was instrumental in some ways. From what I could take away from the video, Kirby and Lee were like Lennon and McCartney or other great collaborators. The sum of the parts weren't as good as the whole. Unfortunately, they didn't always get along for various reasons (just like other collaborators in other art forms). It might have been just a power struggle, personality quirks, or many other factors, but the results built a comic empire. I don't think Kirby was fully financially compensated for all he did for Marvel, but that's what he signed away at the time when he hired out. At least it was enough to support his family at the time, and he got to do what he enjoyed most, draw and invent characters and stories. It's unfortunate in some ways perhaps, but that didn't stop his output, nor crush his drive. He kept on hunkering down over his drawing board until the very end.

Kirby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home