Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Photobucket

I just noticed today that you can order Gene Roddenberry's Genesis II and Planet Earth over at Warner Bros. Archive. These movies are probably for the diehard Roddenberry fan as they are both sort of dated and I think they were made for TV so don't expect super high effects. Still if you enjoy the fiction and worlds Roddenberry created you might like to add them to your collection. Of the two I enjoy Genesis II best. I also noticed that Warner also has Earth II, which I don't think I've ever seen. But from the synopsis it sounded like a fairly interesting story.

Photobucket

Here's the link to get the DVDs if interested:

http://www.wbshop.com/Earth-II/1000116288,default,pd.html

On a slightly different note I sent my brother an easy to make recipe I got off the Dr. Oz show. I used ground turkey for the meat, and Ragu for the tomato sauce, and it turned out pretty good. While I was looking around for a picture of it for the blog, I ran into another site called: mawhats4dinner.com The recipe she had was called pizza upside down biscuit, which sounded pretty good too, and I'll have to get a follow up and read how she made the meal. I suspect both recipes are a spinoff of the English Sheppard's Pie recipe. At any rate, here's the one I got off the Dr. Oz show.

Turkey Upside Down Biscuit Recipe

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon Canola Oil
1 cup Sliced Onion
1/2 pound Ground Beef or Other Ground Meat (such as Turkey, Chicken, Pork, or Sausage)
1 (10.5 ounce) can Tomato Puree
Worcestershire Sauce
1 (11.5 ounce) can Refrigerator Biscuits

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ F. Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it is soft and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the meat and cook, stirring and breaking it up, until browned. Drain off excess grease. Pour in the tomato puree, add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce, and stir well. Scrape the contents of the skillet into a 2-quart baking dish. Place the refrigerator biscuits side by side over the top of the meat mixture. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the biscuits are browned. To serve, put a serving dish on top of the casserole and invert it, so that the biscuits are on the bottom.

Personal Notes:
Canned or thawed frozen mixed vegetables can be mixed in with the meat mixture before baking to make this a complete meal.

This recipe can be easily multiplied if you are making it for a large crowd or to have leftovers. Also, to make things more simple and have fewer dishes to wash, it can be served from the baking dish instead of turning out onto a serving platter.

Bon appetit

Photobucket

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Sila Lumenn said...

I think Mike has both those shows; I'll ask him tonight.

Your recipe sounds good. I would definitely leave mine in the casserole to serve. You could kick it up a notch (as Emeril would say) by topping it with shredded Mozzarella five minutes before taking it from the oven. You could also turn it Tex-Mex by using salsa for the tomato sauce, adding corn and beans and topping it with shredded cheddar. Mmm, now I'm hungry for Mexican. Good thing it's taco/burrito night here. :-)

~ Sandy

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Ha, ha, Sandy, that extra Mozzarella does sound good. I like recipes like this than can be tweaked here and there, and you get almost a whole other dish out of it. I like Mexican food too, so the addition of corn and beans sounds plenty hearty. Walmart or Sam's Club has their own variety of salsa that already has corn and black beans in it, that might work in this too. :) Thanks for the recommendations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home