Sunday, July 04, 2010

blog

So there used to be a guy at work, and his nickname was "Rainbow". When I asked one of my co-workers why, he said, "Because he's the eight hour loaf." Badum-boom, rim shot on snare drum. Now some may not remember that Rainbow was a bread manufacturer, I don't even know if it's still around, but at any rate, lately, I feel I've found my calling and that's to follow suit and become a loafer. I don't know if it's the constant rain that this area of the country is getting or some odd sort of malaise that has settled over me like the lichen that has settled on the trees around here due to all the moisture, but hopefully I can pull myself together and start putting up a few books that are in moving boxes still.

Friday I spent part of that afternoon running over to the water company to change my parents name on the water bill over to my name. I didn't know that it would take an act of Congress (they were out anyway, due to the July the 4th weekend), which left me to defend myself. I'd talked with the woman over the phone, who I get the feeling didn't exactly know how to do this in an easy manner. I tried to be calm, yet assertive. I just wanted to take the easy route possible. Well, it didn't turn out that way. So I grab a copy of my Dad's death certificate, and an online copy of the Smith County paperwork showing my name on this property, and head to downtown. I find an area close to the address in the phone book, but when I pop into the building I found out it's 219 south, not north. Well, I think, oh must be on the other side of the downtown square, which it was, but what was odd, once you get past the square, the numbers on the other side of the street turn to odd numbering.

Anyway, I find the place, and go inside, and talk to the same woman I'd spoken with on the phone. I'm not sure what the deal was, perhaps she thought I was a jerk, or didn't think she knew her job or whatever, but she had a weird attitude, and did everything possible to drag this process out--which by the way, I told her I had to park the truck and walk and was on a meter, ticking away. She proceeded to answer a phone and yak with the person on the other end, at which point I asked her, "Who is supposed to be helping me with this?" She said she was, got off the phone, phone rang, answered the phone again, while not even looking at my paperwork. Finally I told her, look I'm going to have to go move my truck, I don't want to get a ticket just to do this. She asked me if I can jog fast. I bit my tongue as I coped with the situation the best way that I could...but I have to say, a pretty trying experience.

At any rate I got that out of the way...seemingly. And wanted to blow off a bit of steam, so went down to Hastings, a small store similar to Barnes & Nobles and such. Sometimes they'll have used books, and ran across a Batman Showcase Vol. 1 for around $3.49 or so. Needless-to-say, being a comic fan grabbed it. It's odd though, as I reflected upon it, I felt elated, not so much in finding the book, but how the experience had lifted my spirits of the previous encounter with Nurse Ratched at the City of Tyler. I ruminated on how oddly that situation had gone and how odd finding a simple, disposable piece of pop culture had lifted my spirits. Maybe it's that I just like finding a bargain, but whatever the case it worked. Not only was the book far discounted so that was a bargain, but it was about 95% cheaper than seeing a therapist, so man, I made out like a goldmine :)

Blog

Holy Sigmund Freud, Batman. Case closed.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Sila Lumenn said...

Good on you for finding something to make you feel better after all that hassle! It's amazing how something so simple can make you feel so much better. For me, it's bags. Handbags, tote bags, reusable shopping bags... a new bag always gives me a little lift. (I have way too many of them. LOL) ~ Sandy

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger El Vox said...

Sila--I know, I find that I get a kick out of simple pleasures sometimes, and it's odd how it can change my perspective. Even odder, how some situations can spin out of control even though you might be cognizant of it while it is happening, which makes me wonder if the other party is conscience of it as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home