Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Photobucket

Seals and Crofts: Summer Breeze is a light and breezy acoustic album. It has a light folk rock vibe and even though I like their Diamond Girl album better, both albums remind me of summer. I believe both Seals and Crofts were from small Texas towns.

Summer is here and the seasonal change reminds me of certain music. I don't know if it triggers past memories in me from my younger years in life and events, or what exactly it stirs in me, but all I know is that it does. I think it does have something to do with my youth, as I don't think the music I've bought in the last ten years will evoke the same response.

Photobucket

The lyrics to the song, White Bird, might begin with:

White Bird
In A Golden Cage
On A Winter's Day
In the Rain

But still the album reminds me of summer, and leaves me with an impression similar to the album cover of a blue summer's day.

Photobucket

Quicksilver were a San Francisco band that had a sort of psychedelic/spaghetti western feel to their music. They were known for their long jams, and I think parts of Just For Love was recorded in Hawaii, which gives it a breezy island feel to it. I like the added flute parts in songs like Fresh Air. Shady Grove is another album they made, which also reminds me of summer, and both have environmental themes to them. Yes, I guess I'm a tree hugger :) In fact most of their albums remind me of summer come to think of it.

blog

I'd read about Janis Joplin, the gal who was from Port Arthur, Texas, who went out to San Francisco, and joined up with this psychedelic rock blues band called Big Brother. I was unprepared for the album, which had R. Crumb art work on the cover. The sound was big, bluesy, underground, and recorded live. It was fresh and bold, and at the same time had a throwback feel to it like Big Mama Thornton, Bessie Smith, and some of the older black female blues singer that had come before.

3 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger wrightdp said...

Good review. Yeah I know I'm bias in my likes and don't think much of today's new musicians. Maybe I'm just an oldie. But back in this day, people actually knew how to play their instruments. New groups seem so derivative to me.
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20100716/FEATURES0701/7160305/-1/FEATURES07

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger wrightdp said...

Good review.

Yeah I know I'm bias in my preferences and don't think much of most of the new, younger musicians. i.e. Jonas Bros (another corporate fabrication of a musical group. That's okay. I know I'm not their target audience anyway.)

But back in this day, people actually knew how to play their instruments. New groups seem so derivative to me. See the following article on a local band from Tyler, Texas. Your town.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20100716/FEATURES0701/7160305/-1/FEATURES07

Now I can admire their energy and know it takes a lot to tour. But there seems nothing original in their music and I would find it boring to play their songs night after night on the road.

I will say this. There's more variety than ever before. It just takes more effort to mine the jewels that are out there.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

Well, I'd have to admit, I probably wouldn't care much for Rocket Queen (what a name) from Tyler either, but more power to them for trying, I guess. Like you said, I think there's more variety out there than ever before, it's just a matter of finding the music that agrees with your own sensibilities. There's nothing like going back thru some of your old music too for fun and bring back old memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home