Thursday, July 29, 2010

Photobucket

I'm listening to Debussy's Nocturnes currently as I write this. He's one among many of my favorite classical composers. I need to get up and see about getting an eye exam and probably a new pair of glasses. Not one of my favorite things to do due to the fact that I've had some bad experiences with doing so--everything from getting glasses that were just poorly made, to incompetent sales people that work at the places, and just the adjustment of getting used to the new glasses themselves. Now I try and do a Google search to try and narrow down the odds of a bad experience by some good reviews or such. Even so that can be tricky.

At any rate, I've noticed on Saturday nights on KERA (PBS) very late at night around midnight they've started showing Dr Who (the newer David Tennant era) and after that around 1am, they have something called One Star Cinema where they show B-movies. The one they showed last weekend was called The Hideous Sun Demon. Basically it's abut a scientist that was exposed to radiation and turns into a lizard-like monster. Believe me, it really lived up to the name when they picked this one for One Star Cinema. It looked to be shot on the cheap around LA somewhere, and the cost of the effects were just the rubber mask and pieces to go over the hands. It's corny, and well, a B-movie. The story seemed to be a cross of The Wolfman and the 50's SF crazed era. I recorded it on my VHS, it's too late to stay up and watch. I can get past the Dr Who episode, and after that I'm ready for bed. Although I'm glad someone is still showing these cheesy old movies.

blog

I finished Joe R. Lansdale's The Bottoms. Another one of those books that I'd started before the move, and finished after the move. He's one of my favorite authors. He's from around the East Texas area living in Nacogdoches. Here's his web site, and worth checking out: http://www.joerlansdale.com/

He's a bit hard to describe in style but I'd say he writes in a good-old-boy style, most of his books fit in the horror genre, although he's written mystery, westerns, and some nonfiction too. The Bottoms has been compared to Harper Lee and William Faulkner, which is pretty high praise. The story takes place in a small East Texas town (similar to Nacogdoches) around the Great Depression. It's about a rural family, the father being a sheriff, who is also a barber, his wife, and their two kids (a boy and a girl). The kids are out squirrel hunting one day and come across a black woman's mutilated body. Among the myths and wives' tales in this area there are stories about a Goat Man that lurks beneath the bridges and shadows of the night. Harry Collins and his sister returns from their hunt, after the discovery of the body, and having been seemingly chased by this Goat Man. The mystery unfolds from there and Harry's father, the sheriff, tries to track down the killer, as more bodies are found as the story unfolds. It's an engrossing read, darkly wrought, has moments of humor, horror, suspense, and mystery, and definitely has the feel of East Texas.

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger sKincarver said...

The Bottoms was a great book. I haven't kept up with Joe in awhile. I think Bumper Crop was the last thing I read.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger El Vox said...

I didn't even know about Bumper Crop, the Joe is prolific. Next time I'm in Dallas I'll have to go Joe hunting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home