Monday, July 19, 2010

blog

I got up today, and started sorting some of my VHS tapes (yes, I'm still one of the holdouts of the old technology), and DVDs. While I was doing so, I saw where TCM Channel was showing a bunch of SF movies. So I watched a few of them while I was sorting and arranging things. One of the films they showed was an old B-movie, The Green Slime, that I saw back in high school. I've always been a fan of monsters, and space monster too. That's why I like The Blob, The Thing, Them, Alien, and so forth. Now The Green Slime is not 2001: A Space Odyssey and to be upfront about it, it's a pretty cheesy film. But if you set aside some of your critical analysis for a bit, I think you'll find it pretty fun. I think it has also been parodied by MST3K.

It starts out with a crew going off to blow up an asteroid heading towards earth. One of them drops a vial of some sort before departing the asteroid, and some green slime gets on his space suit, which he inadvertently brings back to their space station. Later the big blob grows tentacles and starts duplicating itself, and mayhem ensues. What's weird about it is that it's a Japanese production with mostly American actors (I think the lead female actor is Italian, who was a James Bond gal at one time), so the actors have their voices dubbed, making for a bit of an oft-kilter feel to it. But like I said if you enjoy space monsters, and don't take it too seriously, it's a fun romp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home