Friday, March 26, 2010



So I've been a music fan for about as long as I can remember. Even back when I was a kid I remember listening to my parent's RCA phonograph to all sorts of music and stuff. It was one of those with a logo of a dalmatian dog holding his head to a megaphone speaker.

Sometimes I might run into a country and western station or sometimes I might run across a fire and brimstone preacher trying to scare religion into you, but mostly I went for the rock music. At first, being a kid, as I was drawn to novelty songs. These were songs like Flying Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley with its weird horror lyrics, or even things like Big John by Jimmy Dean about a miner who dies down in a mine, or The Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton, Jaguar and Thunderbird by Chuck Berry about some cars racing around some stretch of lonely road. All of these songs I'd hear on the radio, and then whenever I did have some spare dough, I'd try and find them at a place in town that was called The Record Shop.

The Record Shop mostly sold 45 rpms, which was fine as that's all my parent's phonograph would play. It resembled a lot of those old record shops you see in pictures with listening booths to hear the song, and rows of 45s, which were the big item back then. Not many people bought 331/3 long playing albums back at that time. Unless I guess you came from a larger metro area and were from a wealthy family.

So not long after that we were home on a Sunday night after church, and we usually watched the Ed Sullivan show, and along came the Fab Four. I along with a whole new generation sat and watched dumbfounded as these guys from England called The Beatles did a short set of songs one of which was called I Saw Her Standing There. The rest was history. I remember how teens started to change their looks, and a lot of the guys would buy Beatle boots, and grow their hair longer, and some bought black slacks and so forth, and the girls would look a little mod in their clothing too.

That Christmas in 1965, my parents bought me a Sears Silvertone stereo. Wow, I was bowled over. It was sort of like the stereo above that came in a cabinet, and the turntable folded down, and the speakers detached from the sides. It had four speeds on it so I could virtually play any record. And not only that, they also gave me as gifts two new long playing albums. One was the new Beatle album called Beatles '65, and the other was a Roger Miller album. If memory serves it had Dang Me on it, and I Won't Go Skating in a Buffalo Herd (sort of another novelty song). I still have the Beatles' album by the way, and it still sounds nice after all this time. From that point on my interest in music is still with me, I guess it always will be. It has grown exponentially through the years. I still like rock music, but also blues, classical, jazz, and so forth. Whenever I'd take a vacation I'd want to go to some record store so I could see if they had some cool albums from bands I'd never heard of before or not seen.

With the advent of compact disc and later computers some of that has changed, I no longer have to look all over for a particular album or band, and a lot of the fandom stuff, reviews, and stuff you can find right on the computer--it has become a lot easier to access, particularly helpful if you don't live near a metro area. but the one remaining constant is my joy for music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home